Different kinds of doctors care for men on hormone treatment:

• a urologist specialises in disorders of the urinary tract and reproductive system, and so they will probably be the first specialist you see

• if radiotherapy is an option, you will be referred to a radiation oncologist, who will discuss, plan and deliver this treatment. Then you may return to your urologist

• sometimes a medical oncologist, who specialises in the treatment of cancer with chemotherapy, may also be involved

• a palliative care doctor will focus on symptom control and quality of life.

If you are ever unsure about who has overall responsibility for your care, discuss this with the doctor you are currently seeing and your GP – our system of care can be confusing, and your GP can act as your guide as needed.